Wednesday 5 July 2023

Mid year update

 A recent round of comments reminds me that you're owed an update on where we are with MACHINE VENDETTA. Unfortunately, for those that are keen to get hold of it, it's now been pushed back to January 2024. While the UK edition could have been out by the end of this summer (the book itself is done except for final proofreading, which normally happens about 6 weeks ahead of actual printed copies appearing) it was thought better to have it come out at the same time in America as the UK, which does make sense in terms of maximising the impact of reviews, publicity and so on. Since US publishers have tended to need longer lead-times for production and scheduling, that's unavoidably meant a push back into 2024. No biggie - it's just an SF book and there should be no shortage of good new material to keep anyone occupied between now and then. 

For instance, and just off the top of my head, Naomi Alderman's THE FUTURE is really good and I expect will pick up a lot of attention and good notices in the coming months. I've also just read and enjoyed Tobias Buckell's forthcoming A STRANGER IN THE CITADEL, which I also recommend. I, meanwhile, have been busy on the next book after VENDETTA, entitled HALCYON YEARS, and which is another compact(ish) standalone in the vein of EVERSION. I'm guessing that one will come out in 2025 although since I'm already pretty advanced with it, there might be an outside chance that it will squeak into next year.

I've not got much in the way of additional news, but my short story for Tor, "Detonation Boulevard", will be available later this month. I'll post something here when it goes out.

A few weeks back I did a nice little interview with Robin of the Bookspin Youtube channel, where I (along with others) highlighted some hidden gems of SF. Hop onto the link to see the books I picked, and the tenuous connection between them - and the other recommendations, of course. Thanks, Robin!



Although it's rather late in the day, I'll also mention that I'm taking part in a panel discussion in Cardiff tomorrow evening as part of the National Astronomy Meeting. Here's a link, should you be local and interested in attending:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/celebration-space-tickets-638623840097

Cheers, and sorry for the long silence between updates.



11 comments:

  1. Norayr Gurnagul5 July 2023 at 12:09

    Hi Alastair, thanks for the update. I pre-ordered “Detonation Boulevard” when I saw it online yesterday. Looks like an amazing short story. I will certainly catch up on your book recommendations, especially Michael Bishop. I read his book “Brittle Innings” many years ago and loved it for the way he combined horror and sports elements in a unique way. I also love Tobias Buckell’s SF novels but have not read any of his fantasy novels. I will certainly pick up his upcoming novel as the summary really looks interesting. Looking forward to “Machine Vendetta” and “Halcyon Years”.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please just tell me.... is Clockmaker an Amarantin agent?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps the House Sylveste and the Shrouds have unfinished business...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the update, looking forward to it. Any idea when we'll get a look at the UK cover art for Machine Vendetta?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen a draft version of the cover which looks very good, but I'll wait until there's a final version before sharing. It's in line with the earlier two covers with Dreyfus depicted.

      Delete
  5. Well I'm glad that the publishing industry is moving away from different release dates in different markets, although I wish they'd stop underestimating readers and either go very light with regional edits or forgo them altogether. I haven't really noticed it with your books, AR, but some books by UK authors are given major edits for US editions, as if our heads are going to explode if a character talks about a car park instead of a parking lot.

    It'll be nice not to have to tell Amazon I'm a UK resident who wants my order sent to the US.

    Thanks for the update on Machine Vendetta. It'll be fun spending time with the Panoply gang again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can confirm that the proofread is DONE. A fine tale, sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - but it's me that has to do the proofreading! The pdf is sitting on my PC waiting for next week when I hope to have a run at it.

      Delete
    2. Ah, just heard from Claire - it all makes sense now! Many thanks.

      Delete
    3. It was absolutely my pleasure. Looking forward to the next one.

      Delete
  7. Very much enjoyed Machine Vendetta. Your Dreyfuss series is my personal favourite of the threads you've woven. I managed to pick up a copy of Belladonna Nights in Germany and am in awe...would love to see another short story book put together whilst we wait for Halcyon days.

    ReplyDelete