Tuesday 1 October 2024

Galactic Vinyl Memories #9

The trouble with Genesis is that they are/were always quite an insular band - other than Earth, Wind & Fire's horn section, you'd be hard-pressed to find any contributing musicians on any of the albums. There are the solo records, of course, and Collins and (especially) Gabriel have collaborated with many other artists. Gabriel's records easily link into post-punk and world music - Paul Weller is on his third album, for instance - but I thought I'd stick with Genesis for now, and make use of the fact that the brilliant drummer Bill Bruford plays on Seconds Out. I don't think he's on much of it - maybe just the live version of Cinema Show - but he was definitely part of the touring line-up before Chester Thompson took the main role of drummer.

From Bill Bruford we could go to King Crimson, but we've done them already (I'm not saying they won't come up again, though) so why not a bit of Yes, by way of their seminal 1972 album Close to the Edge:



Look, I've heard all the arguments. I know this stuff is supposed to be atrocious, self-indulgent crap. And maybe some of Yes's other stuff leaned somewhat in that direction. But this album is just the dog's bollocks. A friend of mine first played me part of it in 1982, then later made me a C90 tape. I bought my own vinyl copy, which I still play nearly every week, in 1983. There are three songs on it: one on side one, two on the other. I have never tired of listening to any single second of any of them. The record still fills me with joy and excitement. I love a lot of stuff by Yes but this is the one I'd grab if the house was on fire and I would set wizards on any man who stood in my way.

I'm wearing my Alzheimer's Uk running top in the photo. If you've not checked out my justgiving page for the Cardiff Half Marathon, here's the link. Sincere thanks to all of you who have contributed.

https://www.justgiving.com/page/alastair-reynolds-1713971449990


2 comments:

  1. What's your favorite Yes song? Or alternatively, what makes you think of your characters. I grew up listening to 90215. I think about Revelation space while listening to so many songs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend gave me a tape with a mix of Yes songs on it including "I've seen all good people" and "Starship Trooper", so they're probably my favorites because they were among the first ones I heard. I have 90125 on vinyl as well.

      Delete