Sunday 18 August 2024

Post-Worldcon, Cardiff Half-marathon update and a new novella.

 Just over a week ago I set off for Glasgow and the 2024 World Science Fiction Convention. This was only my second time in Glasgow - the other was for the 2005 Worldcon. It's a great, friendly city and my only regret was that I overcommitted myself with program events to the point where I didn't get to see any part of Glasgow besides the event venue and our hotel. My wife didn't have a con membership but we managed to catch up once or twice in the day in the "public" areas of the SEC, and then made time to have nice meals in the evening back near our hotel in the West End.

The convention seems to have been very well received by all concerned, especially after the difficulties of last year and the general culture-war vibe still hanging over Worldcons from the Puppy nonsense of a few years ago. Hopefully this is the way to go. The organisers of the 2024 event are to be praised for their transparency at all times.

I found time to catch up with a few old friends. Here's Peter F Hamilton and me in the hotel lobby, before heading out for food:



Where we met our writer pal, the wonderful and talented Justina Robson:





My wife and I also enjoyed hooking up with dear friends Gay and Joe Haldeman. I've been reading Joe's work since my mid-teens, when I first scored copies of Mindbridge and The Forever War, and the story notes he provided in his collections (such as "Infinite Dreams") went a long way to demystifying the whole business of "being a writer". Joe is the absolute antidote to those "don't meet your heroes" stories.



The con was very well-attended and this was reflected in generally full, or near-full, audiences for program items. Peter and I found this refreshing and commented to each other that we felt newly validated as writers. It can be a bit of a lonely, thankless profession at times, but walking into packed program rooms was the definite kick we both needed. Thanks to all who attended our events, and made them so enjoyable.

(The downside of this, unfortunately, is that Glasgow seems to have generated a bit of a Covid spike, but since I caught it back in July, I seem to have escaped unscathed.)



I also couldn't resist a picture of the Batman car:



I've no idea if this was THE Batman '66 car or just a replica, but it sure looked gorgeous, down to the classic Batman-style labelling on all the controls:



As hard as it might be to believe now, the original Batman TV series was amazingly exciting when it first appeared. Long after 1966 (probably more like 1976) my sister and I used to make sure we were home from school in time for the re-runs - or what, to us, felt like the original transmissions. I've a soft spot for the 1989 Keaton Batmobile (which I saw in the flesh at the Sydney motor show that year) but I still think the '66 version is pretty hard to beat. Remember: "Atomic batteries to power!" "Turbines to speed!". That's what we need more of now: cars with atomic batteries in them.

I didn't get any running done in Glasgow but I have been pushing on with my training for the Cardiff Half, for which I'm trying to raise a thousand pounds for Alzheimer's UK. You can read my latest update (I ran a dummy "half" yesterday) over on my Justgiving page. People have been very generous so far but with only 6 - 7 weeks to go, I want to keep pushing!

https://www.justgiving.com/page/alastair-reynolds-1713971449990

Just before heading off Glasgow I completed a new novella set in France in the distant future, entitled "The Dagger in Vichy", which I'm pleased to say has found a home and should be appearing next year. More news on that later. I know, what a tease! And now, back to novel work.

Ta,

Al R









12 comments:

  1. It's interesting that two blokes who appear to be on top of the SF game wonder if it's all real until they get to a big gathering and people are saying "gosh, are you really Alastair Reynolds?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was certainly nice to meet some readers and fans, especially as convention attendance is a reasonably rare thing for me these days.

      Delete
  2. Existing news! Your stories give me life. If nothing happens to me I guarantee I will buy "The Dagger in Vichy".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the Keaton Batmobile as well, having worn out the '89 Batman VHS tape as a kid when my brother and I watched it dozens of times. The 60s Batman was still regularly airing after school in the 90s so that one hits a nostalgic spot as well.

    Not a big fan of the Nolan Batmans but the "Tumbler" version of the Batmobile was great. Finally, I was pleasantly surprised by Robert Pattinson's The Batman in 2022, especially his return to the detective roots of the character, and I like the fact that his Batmobile was just a modified ’69 Dodge Charger. Nothing insane, no afterburners or missiles, just a souped up muscle car the character built himself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could never warm to the Tumbler but I did enjoy The Batman, even if it's a bit over-long.

      If you look in the background to the Batmobile shot above, there's a Tumbler-style Batmobile there but I don't know which film it comes from.

      Delete
    2. That's the Bane Tumbler from The Dark Knight Rises. In the film they were prototypes from a failed military contract bid stolen from Wayne Enterprises by the villain. There was also an IRL company that built street legal replicas of Batmobiles for $1 million and up, so it may be one of those.

      Delete
  4. Interesting - how great it is that humble people don't often recognize their impact. Love your books - please keep writing! And if you ever get to the PNW - hit me up for a run. Maybe if/when I make it out to Swansea again I can go for a run with you. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to get to another of these events. Meeting authors I read has been a fulfilling one. Haldeman is a big favourite of mine, but meeting Hamilton and Robson would be awesome too. I've met you, so that's off my bucket list. 😁

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was good to briefly meet you at Worldcon. I only found out about the covid a week or so later when informed by a fantasy author (A.Y. Chao), a guest at the Stockholm Writers’ festival. I also found out that my author email is not working (her agent didn’t get my query). So, you might not have got my subsequent email either. Let me know one way or another, I might have to change email addresses. Thanks, Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chris. I'm travelling at the moment, but will be in touch.

      Delete
  7. It was great event. And I am glad that you got enough time to catch up with old friends and make new ones. I am happy to have coffee and a conversation with you. Good luck with the run and I hope you will get plenty of funds raised.
    Respect!

    ReplyDelete