Monday 4 February 2019

I have never met Napoleon


I've mentioned my enthusiasm for the music of Steely Dan before but lately I've been getting into their music even more deeply by trying to learn, in a very basic way, some of the guitar parts. While trawling the internet looking for clips and cover versions of Pretzel Logic (from the 1974 album of the same name) I came across this rather fantastic interpretation, which I thought I'd share:



W.G. "Snuffy" Walden, incidentally, is the gentleman who did the West Wing theme tune, among many others. Hope the Dan fans among you enjoy this interlude.

Al


6 comments:

  1. Readers may not know the name W. G. "Snuffy" Walden, but unless they've been living in a vacuum (or outer space), they've been hearing his theme music for decades. "Thirty Something," "I'll Fly Away," "The Wonder Years," "My So-Called Life," "Roseanne" (original series), "Ellen," "Early Edition," "Felicity," "The Drew Carey Show," "Friday Night Lights," "Under The Dome," and currently "Seal Team" -- and those are just a few! Check out imdb.com. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of those I only know The West Wing really well, although (true fact) I was in the studio audience for two episodes of Roseanne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It always makes me smile when I see his name on the credits of a show. Have loved his themes ever since watching Thirtysomething back in the 80s.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great cover of a fantastic tune! I really enjoy breaking down/learning Steely Dan songs because they were so brilliant at utilizing jazz harmony in the context of pop music.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been trying to learn the Josie solo since Christmas. I must have heard that song about a million times since I first got the album but it's only by trying to play it that I've really got deep into the structure of it, and started to hear things on the recording I never noticed before.

    ReplyDelete